I’ve been vocal about the same concern. Rivian has told me directly not to be concerned, but I’m 6’3″ and have a family of tall people. The R1T is 18 inches shorter than my F150. 12 inches of that is out of the bed. So either the “frunk” is smaller or it all came out of the cabin, and if it did obviously the back seat area is what shrunk. R1T also is not quite as wide (maybe 2 inches or so?). It doesn’t sound like much until you are the tall guy in the back for 4 hrs. I can’t believe the SUV will have a problem though. If you are looking for usable 3rd row you are better off getting a conversion van or something. They are all to small for an adult to go very far.
Jumping into this thread, I would add 4 more 2nd/3rd row seat questions (in order of my importance):
1. Do the 2nd row seats offer heating AND cooled seats? I’ve seen notes about the R1T and R1S having heating and cooled front seats, and I believe ‘heated’ 2nd row seats, but what about cooled as well for the 2nd row?
2. Considering how popular and functional, especially for families, 2nd row captains chairs are, I wonder when they will finally make that option available. I can’t imagine that it would be that difficult, hardware-wise, to remove the bench seats, and add 2 captains chairs with a pass-through to the 3rd row in the middle. I understand their intent to simplify things, but I don’t see why this would add any significant complexity that would complicate and delay making this option available.
3. I assume that the 3rd row seats will be auto/power folding-up/down. With that in mind, wonder if they will have a powered seat-back adjustment button for those rear passengers to use in order to customize their seat lean/angle.
4. I’m also wondering if there will be retractable shades (‘peasant blockers’) for the 2nd row windows. Since Rivian is taking a sort of hybrid approach to luxury and outdoorsy, multi-functional practicality, I could assume that they would include these shades in the truck…considering most luxury brands offer them as well and are pretty low-tech.
All of the above features/options are available and present in my wife’s Hyundai Palisade and all 4 are VERY useful and practical…and used almost daily with my family. It would be great if the R1S has, or will have these features as well. And since I am an Adventure package reservation holder, I’m crossing my fingers that my R1S will have at least #1 and #2 available in time for my delivery. As they say, “Deliveries Begin January 2022″…fingers crossed!
3) Don’t know yet on power fold, much less recline
4) I used to be a peasant & wouldn’t want to ne blocked. 😉 I’ve seen no mention of this & wouldn’t expect it though; this is something the aftermarket can address, along with shades for the glass roof.
Thanks for the reply Skyler! Was really hoping that maybe I missed something deep in the bowels of the forums that might have confirmed some of those things…but alas, it wasn’t to be 😒. Looks like these are firmly in the category of “wishful thinking”! But still…fingers crossed! 😁